It’s easy to lose sight of this festive time of year amongst all the manic shopping, frantic rushing around and panic at work trying to get everything finished for the holidays. It’s important to take time for yourself and kick back with your loved ones, after all, it’s the most wonderful time of the year and equally a very romantic one – here’s a little list of the top 5 Romantic Christmas Movies to help get you in the spirit of things.
- The Holiday – Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Jack Black, Cameron Diaz … need I say any more? Okay, I will. Not content with their personal situations in the build up to Christmas, two women swap houses and subsequently lifestyles as they switch the U.K. for America and vice versa in order to escape their own lives. After some adjustment, they both find exactly what they’re looking for and much, much more. Heartwarming, fun and totally romantic, The Holiday gets me every time – it’s perfect.
- Love Actually – Follow the lives of 8 different couples as they muddle through the build up to Christmas, each with their own unique issues/ situations to tackle. Each story is intertwined in some way and the result is a thoroughly romantic Christmas hit of a movie. With the likes of Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Liam Neeson, Bill Nighy and Colin Firth as part of the stellar cast, this film will certainly get you right in the mood for a romantic Christmas with your love.
- Four Christmases – Becoming trapped at an airport on Christmas Day, Vince Vaughan and Reese Witherspoon, a power couple who normally travel for the season to avoid their families, find themselves with not much else to do. Both subject to disfunctional upbringings, they end up visiting each of their divorced parents (4 in total) on the day, and discover that what they’ve been avoiding is actually exactly what they both want.
- White Christmas – An absolute classic and the song’s namesake, this musical number set post- Second World War is a story of two sisters and two soldiers who find eachother and put on a Christmas performance together, ultimately falling in love, with a brilliant soundtrack to boot.
- It’s A Wonderful Life – Based on the Dickensian theme of A Christmas Carol, a man contemplating suicide due to an honest mistake is shown an alternate world in which he did not exist by an angel, but things aren’t as good without him as he thought they would be. Realising that his life is worth living after all, he is a granted a second chance and returns home to his loving wife to await his arrest for his mistake, only to find that guardian angels exist in his reality, too. A heartwarming, classic Christmas tale.